Who's Queer Now
Making Our Own World
A Pride Cymru project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
As part of our contribution to LGBT History Month 2017, Pride Cymru created an event about LGBT+ people’s love of the Doctor Who universe, “Who’s Queer Now?”. The event and social media discussions have shown how LGBT+ people have embraced the fantasy worlds of Doctor Who and made it space we can be ourselves in.
Who’s Queer Now took place at the National Museum of Wales on 25th February 2017. It comprised of a day of conversations about the worlds of Doctor Who and their impact on LGBT people. Guest panellists included
- Russell T Davies (creator of New Who)
- Waris Hussein (director of the first ever episode)
- Bethany Black (474 in Sleep No More)
- Gareth David Lloyd (Ianto in Torchwood)
- Phil Collinson (producer)
- Nicholas Pegg & Barnaby Edwards (Daleks and Big Finish)
- David Llewellyn (Big Finish & Who novelist)
- James Goss (Who website & novelist)
- Christel Dee (BBC Worldwide)
- Roz Kaveney (critic & novelist)
- Edward Russell (Brand Manager, Doctor Who)
- Llyr Morus – BBC Series Producer
- Dr Bev (Who Fan)
The event was shaped by people’s memories and personal perspectives on the worlds of Who, which were submitted through our website and our facebook page.