The Buccaneer / The Hotspur – Owain Glyndwr

This pub has gone by many names over the years, and occasionally two names at once for its separate bars. As the Buccaneer it was listed in the pages of Gay News in 1975, while the Hotspur appeared in 1982.

There has been a pub on this spot since as far back as the 17th Century, and it’s had many names over the years, from the Mably Arms in 1731 through to the Green Dragon, the Tennis Courts Hotel, and – most recently – the Owain Glyndwr. It has also, on occasion, been two connecting pubs, and in the 1970s and early ’80s, as the Buccaneer and the Hotspur, it was listed in the pages of Gay News.